Thursday, June 07, 2007

All That Matters


"All That Matters" by Jan Goldstein is a heartwarming tale about 23-year-old Jennifer Stempler whose life becomes drastically depressing after losing her mother in a freak accident and being dumped by the love of her life, in addition to never really feeling loved by her estranged father. She decides the best possible fix is to off herself with a failed suicide attempt. Her beloved grandmother comes to the rescue, and they both embark on a life changing pursuit to save Jennifer's life.

The best part of the book was the budding relationship between Jennifer and her grandmother. It was a very quick read being just shy of 200 pages. By the end of the book, I felt like I wanted something more out of the story. Overall, the book was ok. It did have some language as well.

I am continuing to make my way through the "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" series. I've just finished the 3rd book and will start the 4th and final book very soon. They are very similar, so I will review the last three books altogether. I'm reading the "Memory Keeper's Daughter" now.

3 comments:

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Ooh, great review! I read this book back in January and I liked it. I wasn't fond of the language, but I loved the relationship between Jennifer and her grandmother. Gabby was a jewel and I loved all of the things she tried to teach Jennifer. I was astounded when I got to the end and realized how naive I was - I thought Jan was a woman, not a man!

I haven't read the Sisterhood books yet, but hope to get to them one day. I have read Memory Keeper's Daughter and look forward to seeing what you think of it. I think not having children really skewed me some on my opinion of that book.

Happy Reading!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review! I am about to start the Memory Keeper's Daughter. We'll have to compare notes!

Sonya said...

I'm getting ready to read The Memory Keeper's Daughter as soon as I finish Even Now!