Thursday, November 29, 2007

Thankful Over Thanksgiving

Over the Thanksgiving holiday I always think about what I'm thankful for. Normally, it's for my family and friends, the time we have together, and God's love. But, this year we've had a couple other more immediate needs that God met that have made me even more thankful for His presence.

Thanksgiving night, I went to bed fairly early since I was going to be getting up with Scamp the next morning. Beef was going to bed soon there after, but when I awoke at midnight, he was outside. Our heat had went out, and it was only blowing cold air. The temperature was dropping rapidly outside and now inside our home. But, Beef stayed up to 1:30 am working outside on the unit to make sure we did have the heat we needed. He worked on it most the next day until a technician came out and fixed it for us.

I'm reminded of the verses Matthew 6:25-27. "Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?"

God will provide our every need. In this case, He made sure we stayed warm.

The next day, Beef, Scamp and I were driving through town when we came upon an intersection. The light was turning yellow as we went under, and out to our left, another car was coming straight towards us through their red light. I put my hands up to cover my face and pray, "Lord, help us" while every bit of my being braced itself for the impact. But the collision never came. I opened my eyes to find Beef had gotten us safely across, thanks to God, of course. I was so thankful (and still a little anxious) for God sparing us that I teared up.

"Ask and it will be given to you..." Matthew 7:7. I believe God sent His angels to spare us from harm.

Lord,
Thank you for Your love, Your mercy, and Your protection. I pray that I would remember these times to know that I can always trust in You. You will meet my every need. Thank you for Your grace most of all, for sending Your Son to die upon the cross for our sins so that we could have an eternal relationship with You. And thank you for my husband who sees to it that Scamp and I are safe.
In Jesus' name,
Amen

6 comments:

Karen Hossink said...

Sometimes I wonder how many "near misses" God has seen me through as He protects me so well.
Glad you're warm and safe! :)

Anonymous said...

What wonderful things to be thankful for!

Judi said...

Great things to be thankful for!

Annie said...

Great list of blessings Shawna!

Angi said...

Wow Shawna! What a coincidence! Our heat broke last week as well. Luckily, we had gas logs to keep us warm until the technician got there 2 days later.
AND, my husband was going through a green stoplight, when someone coming the other direction ran right through a red light, without slowing down or looking at all. Luckily, my husband was watching and avoided it - but all credit and thanks go to God! What a protector he is!

gail@more than a song said...

Great reminders for us all to be thankful for God's blessings! And protections from so many things we may never know about too.