Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Time Travel Tuesday


Did you have a favorite pet as a child? What was it? Where did it come from? What was the coolest thing about your pet?

Don’t forget to sign the mr. linky at Annie's so we can all read about your childhood pet story!

I will have to mention two pets because one pet was like a member of our family, and I still miss her. Her name was Autumn Sunshine, Sunny, for short. She was a yellow lab, and we got her from my aunt Maurina when I was in elementary school. She was so lovable, always good with kids and other animals. She even let our cats sleep on her back. She would always get excited every time we came home from school. You could tell because she would sneeze repeatedly, and she always looked like she was smiling. We had her until I was in college. My parents finally had to put her to sleep because she had arthritis so bad, she could barely get around. My mom has been unable to buy another lab due to the fact they are very suseptible to arthritis. Gosh, I want to cry.

Sunny was our family dog, but my cat BJ was all mine. I named him after the TV show BJ and the Bear. You know the trucker with the pet monkey that always rode with him. I loved that show. BJ was a black and white Tom Cat, and he was not very friendly. He would let you pet him but never pick him up. He would occasionally come and sit in my lap to let me pet him if I was really still. We had him around the same time we had Sunny. Sunny's brother, Chase, who my uncle down the road owned, killed him as he did several of my other cats. He wasn't a very nice dog.

3 comments:

Nancy Face said...

Awww...I love that Sunny let your cats sleep on her back! Mu hubby has always loved Labs! :)

Chase sounds like the kind of dog that would scare me silly! :0

Annie said...

You had a BJ too!

gail@more than a song said...

I think labs are wonderful dogs! I didn't have any pets as a child, hubby thinks that I'm flawed b/c of that...but we had a black lab that was the best dog ever! Sadly he disappeared one year close to hunting season and we never could find him.