Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Great Passey Exchange



My three and almost a half year old Scamp has still been sleeping with a pacifier. I've noticed many people have strong views about passeys, and I used to be one of those people who would question why a two or three year old still had a passey. It's hard to take away something that your child feels they need. Scamp is emotionally attached to her passey like other children are attached to their blankets or stuffed animals. Plus, her daddy and I are attached to it since it has so long served as a calming agent. It's hard to tell a three-year old in the back seat of the car no to her passey when she's screaming and crying uncontrollably.

This past week my mom (aka Nana) offered to buy Scamp the big-girl make-up she's been wanting for months if she threw her passeys away. We talked with Scamp about it everyday, and she would agree until naptime or bedtime rolled around. Finally, I set the passey-throwing away event for yesterday, Monday. As soon as Scamp got up, we cut up her passeys at her request then threw them in the garbage. But, her daddy and I hid two just in case.:)

Scamp and I got dressed and headed to Walgreen's to buy the Hannah Montana make-up kit she chose prior. Scamp was very excited. I even had Scamp tell the cashier why she was getting the make-up to help reinforce her decision to throw the passeys away. We got home and opened the box immediately and let her choose whatever colors she wanted. She called her Nana and her Meme (Beef's mom) to tell them the wonderful news.

I continued to talk with Scamp about how she wouldn't have a passey for nap today, but when her 2:00 pm naptime came, she freaked out. She came running into the bathroom where I was drying my hair, crying and saying she didn't want to be a big girl anymore. I tried to comfort her by telling her she could do it with her responding back that no she couldn't.

Finally, her daddy, who works from home, told her he would put her to bed. She was upset for about ten minutes, but he calmed her down by letting her watch a TV show before bed. She fussed in her bed for several minutes and finally fell asleep. The same reaction happened before bedtime last night as well. But, today was much better. She asked me to buy her more passeys, but she didn't cry for nap today. I'm proud of her and have been telling her that often. I hope the rest of the week goes as well as this afternoon. Way to go Baby Girl!

6 comments:

gail@more than a song said...

Oh bless her heart! It is hard to take those away from them. My daughter's sweet 3 yr old has to have her paci for naps/nighttime...they haven't gotten to the point of taking it away yet.
It's hard to grow up!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Love your blog. It has been one that I have read for months and really enjoyed.


I have finally jumped into the blog world. Come by and visit me when you have time.

Teresa

Hyperactive Lu said...

Good job Scamp! I know that's a hard time! I know Peanut's day isn't too far away!!! :)

Karen Hossink said...

Oh, Scamp, sometimes I don't want to be a big girl anymore, either! But if you can hang in there and make it without your passey, then I know I can hang in there, too.

You hang in there, too, Mom! *grin*

Anonymous said...

When Amanda was about 18 months my mom and matt's mom starting freaking out about the fact that she still had her paci... so I took them and put them all away. She had about 15 mams that coordinated with her clothes... Unknown to me she had a stash in a little purse in her toybox, so for about a week she would come out with a new paci. I never could find more when I looked but she did. I have a picture of her coming out of her room with two in her mouth smiling so proud she had found a paci. Looking back I should have let her keep them :).

Matt said...

I'm proud of Baby Girl as well. And it happened just like Shawna has described here. Lianna was fine until nap time, and then I heard this hysterical screaming start up down the hall. I went to investigate, and here Scamp comes running, tears streaming down her face. I pick her up, and she just keeps saying, "I can't do this! I can't do this! I'm NOT a big girl, Daddy!", all in between sobs and gasps. It was heartbreaking and hilarious all at the same time. But yes, things are much better now. She's still fussed for her paci a bit when I put her to bed the past couple night, and we hear her fidgety in her bed. But she does eventually go to sleep and has slept through the night every night since.