Friday, May 18, 2007

My Wonderful Mom


My mom and dad were married in high school at 17 and 20 respectively. She decided to focus on raising a family instead of seeking a career for herself and had my sister the year after she graduated. I followed 3 years later.

My mom stayed at home with my older sister and myself until I went to kindergarton. Her first job after she returned to work was at a bank. She worked there for a few years then found a different job during my middle elementary school years. She worked at another local elementary school as a teacher's aide so that she could be at home with us after school and during the summers.

Summers were my favorite with my mother. She along with my mom's cousins and their kids would take us swimming at least 2 to 3 days during the week. She would always pack us a picnic lunch and would let us buy ice cream as our afternoon snack. This was our summer routine for several years.

She started taking night and summer classes at a local community college my later elementary and early middle school days. By the time I was in high school, she was accepted into a nursing school program and started going full time. She graduated my junior or senior year and became an RN. I am so proud of my mom. She doesn't realize how often I share this story with others. She is such a smart person, and I'm glad to call her my mom.

My mom made the choice to focus on my sister and I as children, and I'm glad she did. I am also glad that she took the time to focus on herself as well and find the career that she loves. My mom is always there for me now, and I call on her more often since I am a mother as well. I realize how hard it was for her to raise us and let us go and for that she deserves the best. I am so thankful that she (and my dad because I don't want to leave him out. But hey, it's not Father's Day yet!) is so loving, kind, and helpful to Beef, myself, and Scamp. I love you so much, Mama, and I hope you always know that. This is a small token for you for Mother's Day. I really appreciate you driving up to help me take Scamp to the doctor on Mother's Day.


Inspired by the most recent Blog Talkers.

4 comments:

Sonya said...

Very sweet tribute to your mom! I didn't get to spend mommy's day with my mom but I'm glad you were able to...even if it was to take Scamp to the doc. Mom's are wonderful and I love that God designed us to be the way that he did. There is nothing that can compare to the way a mother loves her children and cares for them.

Heart of Rachel said...

That's a wonderful piece dedicated to your mom. Sorry I wasn't able to visit you sooner but just wanted to wish you a belated Happy Mother's Day. Take care!

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

What a wonderful post! Love that picture, you two are so cute :) She sounds like a wonderful mom, and she certainly set a great example for you to follow with your daughter :)

Hope you BOTH had a great Mother's Day!

Anonymous said...

What a very sweet post about your Mom! You can tell, just by looking at the picture, that she's got a wonderful heart! :o) Y'all are both so lucky to have each other!