Friday, May 18, 2007

Pride and Prejudice


It took me 2 and 1/2 weeks to finish "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen, and I'm glad I did. It is a wonderful love story. I watched the BBC miniseries this past weekend. I only intended to watch the first half since I was only halfway into the book but couldn't help myself and finished all 5 hours in one day!

The first part of the book is the hardest to understand because the language is so different. It was hard for me to see the wit in a lot of places, but the BBC miniseries was so close to the book, using a lot of the exact dialogue found in the book, that I was able to finally get it! I would recommend reading the book and watching miniseries and maybe even the most recent movie as I have. I thought the Keira Knightley version would remain my favorite, but the miniseries was so good and thorough to tell much more of the story that I think the latter has surpassed the former.

The miniseries was able to show much more of Mr. Darcy's character than the recent movie that I liked him even more. It also was able to include a lot more of the original characters from the book.

Although at times in the book, I became confused as to who was speaking since there is so much dialogue between the characters, I would still recommend reading it. It's just such a lovely story, and I enjoyed the way Austen wrapped up the lives of all characters at the end of the book. Thanks for the book review on your site Lauren and the miniseries suggestion from you Sonya.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved the miniseries! I checked it out from the library to watch, but I want to watch it again! I told my husband he now has something he can buy me the next time he needs a gift! Glad you enjoyed it! I did watch the other version, and I liked it. However, I agree that the Colin Firth version is so much more complete. Have a good weekend!

Sonya said...

Well, I am so glad you enjoyed it! I love the book and found myself laughing out loud at the humor Austen throws in! I love it! I'm also glad you liked the miniseries. I have the BBC version, the A&E version, and the Keira Knightley version but I must say the A&E version takes the cake! It is much closer to the book than the KK version. Anyway, glad you liked it!

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

You know, I read P&P in high school and should read it again. I love the movie and own the recent version with Keira Knightly. I keep meaning to check the A&E series out from the library, but just haven't found the time. I bet it's wonderful!

Great review!

Hyperactive Lu said...

I like both versions, but LOVE the miniseries! So romantic! About once a year I pull out the 5 videos and watch it. It usually takes me a couple of days! :)