Wednesday, April 09, 2008

ER Scare: Part 2

If you haven't read part 1, click here.

The nurse finally got me set up with an IV and some pain medication. We were still waiting on the surgeon, so my parents decided to go ahead and take Scamp home with them. In the meantime, Beef's mom arrived, and he went home to pack a few things. Being standard procedure, the doctor requested a urine sample, so my MIL (Suzanne) helped me to the restroom and waited outside. I finished up and started feeling lightheaded, so she came in while I positioned myself on the bathroom floor. I knew I was about to blackout, otherwise I would not have laid myself down on the germ-infested floor in only a remnant of a gown. The nurse came in and tried to help me up. I informed her I was going to pass out, and even before she had me in the wheelchair I was out. I dreamed the ten or so paces back to my room and awoke to three nurses lifting me back onto my bed. My first thought was I wish I could go back to dreaming. I was so proud of my MIL though. She didn't freak out at all.

Beef came back, stunned to hear I had passed out. About that time, the surgeon came in and said he felt fairly confident that I did have an ectopic pregnancy. The only choice we had was surgery. The doctor informed us that you cannot replant the fertilized egg elsewhere, and it could be fatal if the tube ruptured. He was going to perform a laproscopic procedure. Basically this means I would only have three tiny incisions, one in my belly button and two a bit lower on either side.

I was in surgery within the next hour or so. I felt fairly peaceful until the actual time came of being wheeled into the operating room. But, the anesthesia took over quickly. The procedure lasted about an hour and a half. The doctor checked both tubes and found the pregnancy was on my right side. The intense pain I had was from blood seeping out the end of my tube with each heartbeat. Luckily, I didn't have very much blood in my abdomen.

I was released from the hospital later on that evening. Healing was fairly quick, about a week and a half. I followed up with my doctor the following week. Two days later, they called saying my pregnancy hormones were a little high, and I needed to head to the doctor's office immediately for another ultrasound. Again, I was terrified. But, when we arrived there, we had to wait over an hour. They didn't seem to be as panicked as the nurse had been on the phone with me. Again, the ultrasound revealed nothing, and I was sent over to the hospital for a couple of shots. These were supposed to break up any residual pregnancy tissue, plus cause some more pain. Other than a little nausea, the pain from the shots was minor though. I go back to my doctor tomorrow for follow-up bloodwork.

I am almost 100% back to normal and am able to lift Scamp as much as I'd like. The incisions have almost healed, and hopefully all will be well at the doctor's office tomorrow.


Anonymous said...

okay wow. i can't imagine the feeling of panic, feeling so bad and scared. i hope everything turns out ok tomorrow. you'll be in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

See Please Here

Sonya said...

I can't imagine going through this. I pray I never do.

I hope you continue to heal quickly and that you are 100% in no time! I'll be praying for you.

Anonymous said...


I am so sorry that you had to experience this. I am sure it was very scary. I am glad you are healing, and I hope you get a good report at the doctor's office.

gail@more than a song said...

I hope your appointment all goes ok!

Heart of Rachel said...

I'm sorry about your ectopic pregnancy. I could just imagine how difficult and scary your experience was.

I hope that you have healed well by now. God bless.