Monday, July 09, 2007

Where Mercy Flows



As part of the Christy Challenge hosted by Shauna at Shaunarumbling, I read the book "Where Mercy Flows" by Karen Harter. This was her first novel, and she won The Christy Award for this category. I'll have to say I was very impressed with this being her first.

Synopsis: Twenty-four year old Samantha Dodd has been estranged from her family for the past seven years after running away to marry her high school boyfriend. Her life has been turned upsidedown after her husband leaves her due to the birth of an illegimate son. Then, she is forced to return home after becoming ill and unable to care for her son alone.

Sam is constantly burdened with the idea that her overly rigid father has never loved or accepted her. She must learn to face the demons of her past while dealing with some new family secrets. She must also choose between the man she still loves (her estranged husband) and her high school best friend Donnie, who wants more than just friendship.


Harter does a very good job of reinventing the story of the prodigal son. The book was fast paced and well rewritten with just enough suspense and romance to make a good tale. The book had Christian undertones without being so directly in-your-face religious, which I don't mind that type of directness. But, it would be a very good recommendation for nonbelieving newcomers to Christian fiction.

Shauna also read this book and wrote a review, so check hers out as well. I'm in the process of reading "Peace Like a River" by Leif Enger and am really enjoying it so far. I will write that review soon. For more of my book reviews click here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review! I am adding this to my list!

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a great book. I'll have to add it to my list over here...

Go check out So Many Books... So Little Time @ http://somanybooksblog.blogspot.com She's been doing book give aways and they sound great!! I just won one and when you win we'll have to trade! :)